10 ways to destress after a long work week
Why is it important to practice self- care? Why should we distress on our days off?
This can sound so simple, but in fact is very important for us to be able to function. Stress is one of the biggest health concerns, but also disregarded the most. According to WebMD, stress can worsen or increase the risk of conditions such as obesity, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, depression, gastrointestinal problems, and asthma.
In many cases, people feel guilty for simply relaxing. Hence the name, “lazy day”. Relaxing helps recover one’s mind and body. One can fall back more on their work if they do not destress and practice self-care. The following are 10 ways one can practice self-care and rest.
1. Leave work at work. Try finishing work in your job environment, even if that means you need to stay a little longer during the week. Use your day off to have a “me-day” and/or to spend with your loved ones.
2. Focus on your mind and body. Pay attention to what your body needs from you. Treat it with care. Eat healthy and exercise. Your mind and body need love too.
3. Talk to a professional. Your issues matter. They do not have to be physiological issues to see a professional. Talking to a therapist will help process your emotional needs.
4. Practice deep breathing. If you cannot get to a yoga class, you can practice at home. Find a quiet place, lay on a comfortable matt or surface. Take deep breaths in and slowly exhale as you count to three. Continue this for at least five minutes.
5. Book a massage. Treat yourself to a relaxing massage. It is a great method to relieve tensions you hold in your body when feeling stressed and overwhelmed.
6. Listen to music. Listen to the songs that help release your happy hormones.
7. Spend time with your loved ones. Hang out with friends and family who help uplift your spirits. It will help get your mind off the daily work stress.
8. Make a schedule to start your week. Right down your daily responsibilities for the next work week. Any spontaneous activities can be written down as they come. For the meantime, it helps to not over worry or stress when you know what to expect throughout your work week.
9. Practice gratitude. It is important to be mindful of the positives in life to keep you motivated.
10. Don’t be hard on yourself. Easier said than done, but it is important to show yourself appreciation. If you do not find a place of appreciation for yourself, no one will know to do so. Value and admire your hard work.